A fining agent that also reduces astringency by removing tannin. Use 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons.
Here is a list of materials you will need:
Steps: (per 5 gallons of beer)
- Add ¼ to ½ cup of cold filtered water to a sanitized measuring cup
- Add ½ teaspoon of gelatin on surface
- Let sit for 10-15 minutes to partially dissolve
- Heat water to 150-155 °F (I usually do small 5-10 bursts in the microwave. You may also heat the water by adding very small increments of boiled water) DO NOT BOIL THE WATER, you will make Jell-O instead.
- Stir and test temp with sanitized thermometer
- Pour into fermenter or keg. Use care in avoiding unnecessary cold side oxidation.
- Allow 24-48 hours to work its magic prior to packaging or serving.